Monday, April 21, 2014

Health benefits of guava fruit and juice

Have you tried guava fruit yet?

This mouthwatering treat is often called the super-fruit and with a reason.

The health benefits of guava include the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, constipation, cough, cold, skin care, high blood pressure, weight loss and scurvy.

The fruit is originally found in South America and grows in great quantities here in the Amazon region.

Actually it can be found wild nearly anywhere and many times people just let it rot in the tree or feed them to the pigs.

But you should not do the same, because guava fruit contains four times the Vitamin C that is present in oranges.
Guava-tree in a garden.
Vitamin C helps to improve your immunity and keeping your body healthy and protects it from pathogens that cause infections.

The fruit is somewhat round or pear-shaped and it is light green, yellow or maroon in color on the outside when it is ripe.

The South-American guava has pink flesh and lots of small hard seeds enveloped in a very soft, sweet pulp.

It can be eaten raw, or made into juice, jam or jellies.

This little fruit is a powerhouse of nutrients.
Green guavas in a tree.
You must be familiar with the popular saying of “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”?

Well, it should be changed into “A few guavas a year keep the doctor away for the whole year”!

What makes guava even more special is that protecting the fruit does not require excessive use of chemical pesticides as in the case of grapes, apple, and other so-called “exotic” fruits.

It is one of the least chemically treated and sprayed fruits.

Guava is very helpful for those who want to lose weight; it is very high in fiber and rich in vitamins, proteins and mineral but has no cholesterol and a low number of digestible carbohydrates.

It is a very filling snack and has far less sugar compared to apples, oranges, grapes and other fruits.
Guava-tree at the wild.
Guava also contains copper which helps in the production and absorption of hormones.

This property helps in improving the functioning of your body’s endocrine system, especially in the thyroid glands which are responsible for example producing the enzymes you need to metabolize the food.

Guava is very rich in astringents, compounds that make your gums feel tighter and fresher.

After eating raw guava or chewing guava leaves, or after using guava based toothpaste, your mouth will feel healthier, and the astringent qualities also add substance to loose bowels and reduce symptoms of diarrhea.

The astringents are alkaline in nature and have disinfectant and antibacterial properties helping to cure dysentery by inhibiting microbial growth and removing extra mucus from the intestines.
Raw guava fruit.
Guava is also beneficial in treating gastroenteritis for its high level of vitamin C, Carotenoids and potassium that strengthen and tone the digestive system while simultaneously disinfecting it.

Even more, guavas are rich in antioxidants, like lycopene, that can help protecting your cells from damage and reduce your chances of getting cancer.

The Vitamin C, Vitamin A and the antioxidants, like lycopene and carotene, also present in guava will help you to protect your skin from aging.

Another beneficial quality of guava is that it is rich in fiber, helping our digestion to work better.
Mature guavas from the garden, the ones sold in the market are bigger.

Guava is actually one of the richest sources of dietary fiber in terms of fruits.

Its seed, if eaten whole or chewed, can be used as excellent laxatives.

Guavas can improve the texture of your skin and help you to avoid skin problems.

This is chiefly due to the abundance of astringents in the fruit and in its leaves.

Your skin can benefit from either eating the fruits or by rinsing your skin with a decoction of its immature fruit and leaves.

It will tone up and tighten the area of loosened skin where you apply it.
Guavas after cooking them.
In addition, the antioxidants and detoxifiers present in guava will keep your skin glowing and free from signs of premature aging, wrinkles and other dermal disorders.

Guava also helps to reduce cholesterol in the blood and prevents it from thickening, thereby maintaining the fluidity of blood and reducing the blood pressure.


Should you eat guavas if you are pregnant?

Yes, guavas contain Folic acid, or Vitamin B-9, which is recommended for pregnant mothers.

As you must know, this will help developing the baby’s nervous system and protect the newborn from neurological disorders.
Guaba-pulp after liquefying it.
But this is not all; guavas also contain magnesium, helping to relax your nerves and muscles.

Even better yet, guavas are also rich in Vitamin B3 and Vitamin B6, also known as niacin and pyridoxine.

Both of them help in improving blood circulation to the brain and relaxing your nerves.

Juice of the raw and immature guavas is very helpful in relieving coughs and colds by reducing mucus, disinfecting the respiratory tract, throat and lungs, and inhibiting microbial activity with its astringent properties.

I think you will agree with me that we can call guava a super-fruit without a doubt!
Don't forget to make sure you get all the seeds.
My favorite form of guava is in Espumilla, sweet guava foam, and juice.

I usually make my juice from a ripe guava by cooking the fruit first, so to make sure that it is hygienic.

After the guava has cooled off, put it in the blender with a little bit of juice until it has all been liquefied.

You need to pass the fruit pulp through a sieve to make sure you get all the seeds out because they are quite small.

Mix sugar or your favorite sweetener with the juice and put it in the fridge until it’s cool.
Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. I have tried Guava.. It was very tasty! I did not know it had so many benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an informative post, I have never tried the Guava fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had sweetener made with guava but I haven't actually eaten it before. Thanks for the knowledge. I'm so glad its a super fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I missed my guava trees back home ! I love guavas and I used to eat them a lot, kind of snack to me when I was growing up ! Thanks for sharing this information !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guavas are really delicious! It must be difficult going from hot climat to cold. The other way around has been hard sometimes but I think your way is even tougher.

      Delete
  5. I love guava juice, had no idea what it took to make it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love guava! I wish I lived somewhere where I could grow guavas and avocados and mangos and all those yummy tropical fruits. Instead I live in Idaho where I can only grow apples and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Never Tried I Must So Good For You!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost spent my childhood years eating guavas on guava trees. here in Philippines, it is very dominant but after typhoon Reming, our guava uprooted. Never tried of that juice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds just like a childhood here, Kenneth. Although here it might be the mango tree, lol. I'm so sorry to hear about your guava tree but it will grow, glad that you survived :)

      Delete
  9. Guava is awesome. I love it. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the info on Guavas. I have heard of them, but have never known much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the taste of guava. This sounds really tasty too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard a lot of great things about Guavas. I don't care too much for the juice but I like to eat them as fresh fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That juice looks amazing! I've had guava fruits and really enjoyed them. You get to eat so many amazing, fresh fruits. =D I love seeing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you reminded me of my childhood. I used to eat guavas on top of guava tree. They grow anywhere in the Philippines. I lose my tooth biting it one day ha ha. Oh well, guava is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard guava is good for you. Good facts to know! Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried Guava before, I am not sure I'd like it... but maybe I should try and be more open minded.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it contains four times the Vitamin C that is present in oranges? I must definitively try it. It has so many benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like eating it guavas raw, but I never knew Guavas are a miracle healthy fruit

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love guava and I miss eating them!

    ReplyDelete